Changing a Student's Grade Level in Education Galaxy
There are a few things to know before changing a student's grade level:
- Changing a student's grade level will change it across the entire program, not just a specific class. If you are self-contained and there are no other teachers that have that student in their class(es), changing the grade level for that student wouldn't be a problem. However, if your student changes classes throughout the day and has multiple teachers that use Education Galaxy, it will change the grade level for that student across the program and the other teachers will no longer be able to see that student in their class. If you are departmentalized, please make this decision together with your team.
- If you decide to change a student's grade level it will remove them from their current class(es). In Education Galaxy, teachers cannot create a class with students in different grade levels. For example, you cannot have 3rd and 4th graders in the same class, you must create two separate classes. If you teach 4th-grade and you change a student to 5th-grade you will need to create a 5th-grade class for that student so that you are able to assign assignments and pull reports. Click here to learn how to create a class.
- You will not lose the student's data but it will stay in the grade level that the student was in when they completed that work. To see the data you will simply choose the grade level they completed the work in from the grade drop-down menu when you are pulling their reports. For example, if a 5th-grade student worked down 1 level in their student account for a session when pulling their report you will select 4th-grade from the grade drop-down menu to view.
If you have read the above information and still want to proceed with changing a student's grade level in Education Galaxy, follow the steps below:
- Go to the "Student Center" and select "Manage Users" and click on "Manage Students"
- Filter by grade level and class or type a specific student's information and click "Search."
To perform the action for an entire class:
School Administrators can choose a class from the drop-down menu in the Filter box and click Search. Check the box next to "First Name" and then in the "Group Action" section, click on the "change grade" drop-down menu and select the new grade level.
To activate for a group of selected students:
School Administrators can check the box next to each individual student's name, and then in the "Group Action" section, click on the "change grade" drop-down menu and select the new grade level.
To activate for an individual student:
Teachers and Administrators can find the student's name and then click the "edit" button. This will pull up all of the settings for that particular student. It will display the student's current grade level, click on the drop-down menu and select the new grade level then click "Save."