Constructed Response Assignments
Constructed-Response Assignments include multi-step problems that require students to type a response to a set of reading passages or math problems to answer the question and explain their thinking.
To assign a constructed-response assignment to your students watch the video or follow the steps below:
- Click on the "Assessment" tab and then select "Constructed Response" and click on "Select and Assign"
- Then filter by the grade and subject area and click on the "Show Assignments" button. Click on the Preview icon to preview the assignment and then click on the Assign icon to assign it to your students.
- Click on the Preview icon to preview the assignment. To assign quickly, click the blue Assign to Students button.
- Or click on the Assign icon to assign it to students. Select the assignment start date, due date, grade, and class then click on the "Load Students" button. Check the box in the first row to select all students, or individually select students to differentiate and then click the "Next" button.
- Next, include directions or a message for students that they will see before they start the assignment. There are 3 options to choose from; no message, message in text format, or a message in video format. If you choose to do a video message you will need to approve the video. Finally, click "Assign".
When an elementary student logs in they will see a "New Assignment Available" on their "My Assignments" tab and then will see a "New" flag on the subject area, they will click on the subject area and then they will see their assignment under the Constructed Response Assignments header and will click on Start Assignment to begin.
When an intermediate/middle school student logs in they will see a "New " flag on their "Assignments" tab and then will see a "New" flag on the subject area, they will click on the subject area and then they will see their assignment under the Constructed Response Assignments header and will click on the triangle under the header Start Assignment to begin.
To grade your student's constructed-response assignments watch the video or follow the steps below:
- Go to the "Assessment" tab and select "Constructed Response" under the Assignment Center and select "View and Score Assignments"
- Identify the constructed-response assignment to score and click the "View/Score" button.
- Once a student has submitted their constructed-response assignment the "Status" column will update from "Not Started" to "In Progress" to "Ready to Score". The assignment will show as "Ready to Score" once the student has completed and submitted the assignment. There is also an option to "Erase and Reassign" the constructed-response assignment after a student has submitted by clicking the icon on the right-hand side. Click on the "Ready to Score" link to begin grading student responses.
- Using the built-in "Rubric" found on the right-hand side of the screen award students the appropriate point value in the boxes on the left-hand side of the screen. When done grading the assignment for all 4 questions, click the "Save Score" button.
Repeat steps 1-3 so the Status column updates to reflect a Scored status that can always be edited by clicking on the edit link in the status column.